Surge Institute | Business Launch and Operations
The Surge Institute, a national nonprofit with the mission of accelerating the impact of education leaders of color, was faced with an opportunity to scale their organization. To prepare for that phase, business planning and consulting were needed.
In 2018, Connie took on the role of founding Chief Operating Officer for the Surge Institute, a $3.2M organization with 16 employees. As Chief Operating Officer, Connie overhauled:
- Bookkeeping and accounting
- Performance planning and analysis
- Information technology
- Facilities management
Setting the organization on pace for growth, Blue Seats Consulting:
- Established the organization’s processes and systems to enable scaling
- Published annual goals and aligned budget development and individual performance planning
- Improved bookkeeping and accounting accuracy and reporting
- Organized planning, processes and efficiencies for the board of directors
- Prepared for the transition to a full-time COO
The Best Part
Work with the Surge Institute grounded Connie more deeply in overall equity as the nation journeys through systemic issues.
Connie has done a herculean effort across the board with limited resources, even less time, and occasional dissent and push back along the way. She has leaned into projects that were desperately needed. Connie is always forward-thinking. She is not afraid to take on any problem from ground zero and build out a plan.Carmita Semaan, President & Founder of The Surge Institute